Tuesday, March 25, 2008

"Crazy Americans". . . and their egg hunts

I am so excited that we made it through the entire weekend without any snowfall! Even though I drove to and from Ogden about 3 times in 4 days. Its worth it. Holidays with the fam are something you don't want to miss. This year was extra special because my dad had some visitors come hang out with us for a while. I am totally impressed by the Japanese culture and how disciplined they are. Every person I have met from there has had amazing English. Anyways, so the Higashi's came with us out to Grandma and Grandpa White's house for the annual Easter Egg Hunt in the backyard. I never realized what silly traditions we have, until you bring a visitor who has never even heard of the Easter Bunny. They were good sports and I think they had fun playing along.

This is Etsuko. She served in the same mission as my dad back in the day. She brought her daughter along. . . I never really caught on how to properly say her name but it sounded like Yoshio or something. Sorry. She is 16 and a junior in high school, and she plays kento which is sort of like karate with a sword. SWEET! She thought the hunt was funny but participated happily and giggled most of the time.
They chose a good year to come participate because Grandma decided to put candy in the eggs after years of non-edible goodies. Way to be grandma! After the easter egg hunt...and way too much food my brothers decided to show our cousin Joseph how to play a little lacrosse!
Isn't he a stud! He could catch it pretty good...but he was much better at throwing it back to us. He's always had a good arm!

I'd say, all in all it was a pretty good Easter! With all the fun we have celebrating the 'american' version of Easter, I'm glad I have a family who understands the real reason for this holiday. It's much more than plastic eggs filled with candy and chocolate bunnies. It is a time for us to reflect back on the ultimate sacrifice that was made for us. A true celebration of new life!

1 comment:

WHEN DEE said...

Good posting. Oh Lynds. You are a beaut.

Post another!
Post another!